Drip drip drop little April Showers



I love this time of year when you can immerse yourself in the great outdoors without the bother of piling on twenty layers of long-sleeved shirts and jumpers, not to mention the hats, scarves and gloves. 

I disliked the fact that whilst I had layered up to keep the initial cold at bay, I would be at risk of overheating once I had begun my gardening tasks.

There comes a point where it becomes intolerable to keep digging, mowing and weeding and it is a requirement to ‘de-layer’ oneself. By the end of it all, I have to embark on a clothes hunt around the garden for the garments I have left behind at numerous checkpoints.

A hat would be perched on a spade amongst the borders; a jumper left by the patio, maybe even my emergency thick pair of socks left by the shed.  I shall be glad when I am able to get out in just a t-shirt and shorts, minus all the extra commodities!

***

The later, lighter evenings are a sure sign that summer is just around the corner, ready to beat streams of warm rays into our gardens and outside spaces.

You will see a monumental transformation in the forthcoming months whereby an assortment of plants and shrubs will awaken from their dormant state with re-emerging buds and blossom.

Lawns will grow at an optimum rate and an abundance of colour will greet us until the colder months set in.


Even as a child I have always enjoyed spring and particularly the month of April. 

I have early memories of my involvement in a school project whereby we were commissioned to collect and plant 2000 daffodil bulbs as a way in which to celebrate spring and to relish in the idea of new life and fresh starts. 

***

Not only is April the pre-requisite for summer, it is also a very friendly neighbour of winter, and will regularly remind us that we are not quite ready for our shorts and sandals just yet, presenting us with bulging grey clouds that burst into monsoon-like rainstorms and bitter winds.

This can often cause frustration as we decipher whether to pack an umbrella or sunglasses on our way out of the door in the morning. 

No day is the same during April and our gardens will thrive because of this. There is an old English proverb which epitomises the importance of our typical and traditional rainy days:
‘April showers bring May flowers’

Historically April showers are a fundamental part of natures spring cycle. 


The changeable weather conditions will readily prepare our gardens for the summer. 

The increase in moisture levels alongside the milder temperatures will ensure that our plants grow faster, quicker and healthier than ever before.



Personally, I cannot wait to get my hands on my lawn. There is something special about freshly mown grass – and it’s even better when it radiates a healthy green glow.  (Unlike the yellowy brown effect I have going on at the moment). 

So… the next time you see angry looking clouds making a beeline for your garden, remember it is just Mother Nature’s way of preparing our plants for a summer season of health and beauty.

Please feel free to share and like this blog on our social media. Alternatively I love to receive your comments and emails.

Enjoy the spring sunshine whilst embracing the April showers. You will be grateful for these later on!












Comments

Popular Posts