Kissed by a Rose

A classic garden rose is the iconic bloom of an English Country Garden (although should never be confined to England alone might I add!)

They are every gardener’s companion, a reliable and loyal best friend, often reappearing year after year. 

Their variance in form, colour and use make them a highly versatile flower that will embellish any area in a garden or outside space.



Over the years, they have become one of my utmost personal favourites.

The ultimate reason for this favouritism stems from the early days of my childhood.  

It is not unusual for people to retain vivid and fond memories of flowers, gardens and fragrances that are associated with long lost friends or family members.

My own mother will always recall the hours her grandfather spent in his garden, growing and conserving an abundance of sweet peas, and I’m sure the fragrances that emanate from these plants trigger affectionate reminiscence.

Sweet Peas (Lathyrus) 

Childhood Memories:

It appears as though the nostalgia for plants and gardens has worked its way down through the generations as has been demonstrated by my own memories with my grandfather.


Rose Balmoral

Roses gradually became the epitome of the many holidays and weekends spent at my grandparent’s house, and it was evident to see that they were my grandfather’s ultimate pride and joy. 

It was a pleasant and familiar sight as you neared their house to be greeted with an abundance of blooms which would line the pathway leading up to the porch. 

These would often fashion themselves in an array of colours, although red and yellow were a staple feature colour in these particular borders.

There were many hours spent cycling around the garden paths trying to chase after my siblings, peddling  as fast as humanely possible whilst trying to avoid the prickly stems and wrath of the flighty bees. 





We also mastered the art of ‘flower bed avoidance’ during sports tournaments in the back garden. This became a highly sought after skill, and although not every attempt of catching a tennis ball without landing in the plants was a success, there was much less damage done in the latter years, much to my grandfathers delight.

Rose Absolutely Fabulous


These plants are so precious, and it is easy to see why they are so popular.

The delicate silky texture of each bloom create a graceful elegance, whilst providing a robust and striking statement that really is an awe inspiring sight.

During the cold winter months, it was always a disappointment when the roses were sat dormant. 

It completely altered the appearance of the front of the house, making it look bare and disheveled, and almost eerie. 



Walking up the path was no longer a plethora of floral scents and a haze of voluptuous petals, but instead stood as a mesh of dead wood and unkempt foliage.   It was a strange and sad sight to behold and I was always much happier to pay a visit in the warmer and more colourful summer months.

These simple yet stunning statement flowers have embedded a profound effect on me, and they are a bloom which I would like to plant a profusion of this year, recreating the perfect summer dream that my grandfather had mastered so impeccably.


***

Do you have a deep attachment to a plant, garden or fragrance that has stemmed from the passion of a friend or family member? This needn’t be a childhood memory, but may be something current?

I would love to hear from you and even better than that, would love to see your photographs- whether they be old or new. 

As always, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

becky@hayloftplants.co.uk

Comments

  1. Thank you for this post. You are right, flowers do bring back amazingly vivid memories from our childhood. My Dad was very keen on growing roses, like your grandfather. So if I see a rose, I always have to smell it - in the hope that it has that beautiful smell. He also grew a lot of bedding plants, my favourite of which is the marigold - purely down to the smell. Unfortunately, whenever I have tried to grew them they have been attacked by my arch enemy, the slugs! Thank you again, JIM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,

      Thank you so much for your comment. I am glad that flowers have brought as much joy to your family as they have my own and the memories that have followed with your Dad. I love hearing the stories of others. It is a shame that you are unable to grow Marigolds - I wish those pesky slugs would leave our plants alone! My Hellebores have been recently attacked by them too! Have a wonderful weekend. Thank you again for your comment, Becky

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts